Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Home from WEG

Wow. What a week. I left Sunday morning, early, for Lexington, Kentucky, via Chicago, and returned the following Sunday evening (day before yesterday), late. In between the two full days of travel were six days packed with The World Equestrian Games, the Kentucky Horse Park, a Thoroughbred farm tour and more. Every day was jam packed with horse-related activities surrounded by horse nuts from all over the world. Our hotel was full of people in Lexington for the Games. Everywhere we went, whether on a bus to and from the hotel, in Lexington, in a restaurant, wherever, people were talking horses, mostly in English but also in every other language on the planet.

There is too much to tell so I will start with photos and a few impressions: Kentucky folks are warm and friendly and courteous and have the most wonderful, soft, slow drawl. I wanted to take that courtesy and drawl home with me, but it disappeared as soon as we hit Chicago's O'Hare airport.

The Kentucky horse park is enormous. We must have walked at least ten miles every day, just getting from the entrance to a massive stadium where the dressage events were held to a food booth (food was the low light of the week... thank God and Faiza for Larabars) to wherever else we were going in the Park. But what a gorgeous place.

After walking a mile or two from the gate, we approached the main stadium via the road you can see on the left of this photo. A huge lake was on our right, with the stadium beyond. An enormous mural covered the back of one side of the stadium, which held 30,000 people and was completely full the night of the dressage musical freestyles.

There is so much to tell, but it will have to wait for another time. I hit a wall this afternoon after picking garden produce that has been waiting for me for a week... tomatoes, cucumbers, summer squash, beans, peas, broccoli, even a melon! Oh what I would have given for some of that fresh food last week! ...I will have to continue when I am more rested. I left home still sick with a cold, recovered gradually over the week, but am still running a little slow... with a ton of catching up to do... the freezing of the veggies will have to wait until tomorrow... along with more WEG photos and stories. Tonight I will cook corn from our garden.

It was a spectacular week, but it's very good to be home.

No comments:

Post a Comment