Monday, November 30, 2009

Good Food, Good Friends, and Lots of Laughter

After dreading a holiday without any family coming, it turned out to be a lot of fun anyway, thanks to wonderful friends. Suue and I were horse-loving buddies in high school, then in college, and forever after. She and friend Kit drove here from Spokane to spend Thanksgiving with us. I had not seen Kit for 25 years. She moved to Maryland shortly after that last visit. Suue told her before they arrived: "Linda has wrinkled, but after awhile she looks just the same as you remember her." Well, Kit had wrinkled too, but after awhile she looked just the same as I remembered her. Funny how that works.

We laughed about old times, about our aging complaints, and about lots of stuff only old friends can laugh about. We laughed so hard our sides hurt.

On Friday, we had our turkey dinner with way too much food, as always, provided by everyone who came: Suue and Kit, local friends Barb and Mark and Irv. More laughter. As some of us walked off our extra pounds through my arboretum, so I could show off my new plant markers, a bag lady approached us and asked if we had any extra food we could spare. Mark and Irv and Johnny had no clue who this person was. I laughed myself silly. Kit looked nothing like I remembered her now! See the photo.

Kit has become a bag lady for Halloween every year since she lost her teeth 20 years ago. I had no idea she had dentures. The ones her dentist made and she modified looked like real teeth. Her dentist grandfather had taught her how to make them just imperfect enough to look real instead of like dentures.

Truly a Thanksgiving holiday to remember. Thanks, friends.


No comments:

Post a Comment