Thursday, July 4, 2019

My Whirlwind Trip South with Ian


On Thursday, June 27th, two days after Johnny returned from Connecticut, Grandson Ian and I left for points south, with Ian driving more than halfway coming and going... including all the city driving which he is used to and I hate.

This was Ian's first view of Mt. Shasta.


We arrived in Jacksonville to visit friends Judy and Don... and go to plays at the Oregon Shakespeare Festival. Ian usually goes with me to OSF in September, but he will be in his first year of college this September, so I wrangled this trip with him instead.

Judy and Don kindly let us bunk at their house whenever we go to plays in Ashland, even though we often come in very late at night, or early in the morning, causing their dog to bark and wake everyone up. Rusty is a most wonderful dog and knows us but also knows no one should be opening a door into the house at midnight.

That Thursday afternoon, Ian and I went to Ashland for a talk before the play, supper, then Macbeth in the wonderful Elizabethan outdoor theater. Ian took a photo for me with his magic phone of the raising of the flag to announce the show is about to begin. I love that ceremony.











 No photos are allowed during the play, but I figured intermission was safe so Ian took this one of the theater all lit up...



 The next morning, (after coming in late and waking the dog, Judy and Don), we left for San Carlos. The traffic going into and out of San Francisco on a Friday afternoon was terrible, but Ian handled it well... in spite of my hysteria. 

In San Carlos at last, we toured Munazza's beautiful garden but I did not get many photos. I think I was too interested in photos of grandkids.



Cedrus will practice his gymnastic moves anywhere...
 


These peaches on the tree in their front yard were delicious!


And we played on the trampoline. Well, Ian, Kestrel and Cedrus played on the trampoline. I tried Johnny's technique of being "bounced" and did not like it one bit.







Ian has forgotten none of his gymnastics skills from earlier years. He even did a perfect front flip, landing on his feet. Kestrel and Cedrus were impressed, I think. I sure was.








The next morning, Saturday, we had an informal living room concert with Cedrus on drums and keyboard, Kestrel on guitar, plus vocals with Kestrel and Munazza... a talented family.




 That afternoon was the annual dance recital, the reason we had come all this way south. Cedrus was in six numbers, Kestrel in two. Cedrus had decided he wanted green hair... so Munazza obliged.

 



Cedrus on the way with all his costumes... and green hair...
 

Since all the numbers the boys were in were in the first half, we opted to head north again at intermission. We had a long drive back to Jacksonville. I had scheduled more plays for Sunday!

Steve, Cedrus, Munazza

Ian, Kestrel, Cedrus, Steve
 After photos, we were off.

 We stopped to admire beautiful Mt. Shasta.


I tried for a photo of Ian with Shasta in the background but my camera would not focus on both. Trust me, Shasta is back there.
  

I wanted to show Ian Castle Crags but it is difficult to see from the highway so we went into the park and took these photos.



Then it was on to Jacksonville, arriving at Judy and Don and Rusty's house (and waking everyone). On Sunday we spent the whole day in Ashland. First at a talk in Lithia Park, then, joined by Judy and Don, an afternoon play. Although a brilliant play brilliantly written, we all found Cambodian Rock Band depressing. Between meals and plays, we walked in Lithia Park and I took photos of scenes that struck my fancy. 




Ian took a break...





We were glad for the very fun musical Hairspray in the evening to end our Oregon Shakespeare Festival visit. We again woke the household upon returning to Jacksonville after the performance. 

Amazingly, Judy and Don invited us to come back again any time. They are truly wonderful friends. They love talking to Ian and asking him all the questions that we oldsters know nothing about. Ian is a walking encyclopedia of all things technical. 




Judy, Don and Rusty

Back to the farm Monday afternoon, July 1st, Ian left by train on Tuesday. He is a great travel companion. I hope we get to trek together again... but with not quite so much packed into such a short time.

No comments:

Post a Comment