Monday, August 22, 2016

Meanwhile, Back on the Farm

The garden loves the hot weather. I don't. And I planted too much of almost everything, as usual.

One day's picking of cucumbers...


and of summer squash...


one lone honey dew melon of any size, so far, in the garden...

and one watermelon growing...


Delicata squash, lots of it, coming on...

And the first artichoke... hope there will be more!


Johnny and friends did one batch of cider yesterday (August!) with downfall apples. The trees are still loaded with not yet ripe apples...


So was the pear tree loaded but I picked them all yesterday... five big boxes full. They will get canned as they ripen, theoretically. Yesterday I also picked and froze one day's harvest of golden wax beans... about 15 quarts. Corn and pumpkins are coming on, tomatoes slowly ripening, lots of rainbow carrots. And more. I'll be more enthusiastic this winter when the garden is put to bed and the veggies are in the freezer or canned. Today I'm making bread and butter pickles with some of those over-producing cucumbers.

I estivate inside the house on the very hot days... we had three days close to 100 degrees this past week. Or else I go to the cooler coast to monitor Black Oystercatcher nests. Instead of reporting those trips here, I've started another blog to keep track of them for my own records. http://bloymonitor.blogspot.com/

It's supposed to get hot again in a few days. The garden will be glad.


No comments:

Post a Comment