Thursday, May 26, 2016

Roses!

What a year this is for roses. They are blooming so heavily I've had to tie them up off the ground. Maybe if I'd pruned them they would be sturdier...

John F. Kennedy does not usually get this carried away.

This floribunda (I guess) was here when we moved here in 1977 and always blooms like crazy with blooms that last a very short time but just keep coming

Oklahoma with just a few flowers open yet

Burgundy Iceberg, my only purple rose

Armada (I think) is out of control this year

Gebruder Grimm with the lovely shiny foliage is in bud, soon to be loaded with flowers that constantly change color

and here they are


This old-fashioned rose was here when we moved here in 1977. I have no idea what it is.

One of my few hybrid teas, Love was just beginning to bloom when I took this photo. Kitty was keeping me company as I photographed.

Playboy has to be seen in person to be believed. Constantly in bloom.

 Here's a close-up of some of the color variations Playboy's blooms go through.





And a bud...


Climbing Iceberg covers one side of the chicken yard fence.

Climbing Iceberg has a little help from Queen Elizabeth. At least that's what I think this lovely pink rose is. I started it from a cutting many years ago that a friend had on her place when she moved there. I've read that Queen Elizabeth was a popular rose that many settlers apparently brought with them to Oregon from points east.





This is a cutting of Zepherine Drouhin that I started from my original bush. It is usually the first rose to open but was beat out this year by Playboy and Armada and others
The rambling rose Paul's Himalayan Musk has rambled high up our Hybrid Poplar next to the front drive. It looks white here, in bad lighting, but it is really a light pink.






This is an ongoing post as I take more photos of roses in bloom...

English Violet
English Violet with all those buds open







Disco Dancer


No comments:

Post a Comment