Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Matilda the Sheep

Three years ago this month, I sheared our two sheep. Now we have only one, Matilda. Today I sheared her. After reading my blog post of the previous shearing ordeal, http://lindafink.blogspot.com/2011/09/shearing-sheep.html, it seems I'm slower even than I was then. Back then it took me one hour per sheep, alone. Today it took one and a half hours, with Johnny's help holding her. Matilda was actually very cooperative. At least, she didn't lie down or jump around, just occasionally tried to run forward or backward to escape.

Johnny took a "before" and "after" photo. Plus he weighed the wool that came off of her: 25 pounds. That's a lot of weight to be carrying around.

Before


After
A rough cut, but at least she has legs now. And, yes, her coat really is at least three different colors. Maybe I'll get my act together next year and shear her again when her wool is usable for spinning, not full of a three year accumulation of sticks and gunk.

Matilda was happy to get back to her llama friends, Lindoro and Milagro. Milagro checked her out to make sure she was still Matilda.


The guardian dogs have no trouble knowing who she is. One stomp of her foot and they back off. Matilda, with or without wool, is the boss of her little family.

No comments:

Post a Comment