Saturday, August 17, 2024

Odd Birds

 I'll be glad when all these juvenile birds get their adult feathers. Seeing them now when they're no longer in the begging stage with parents around, I am often perplexed by what this strange bird is. The juncos look like song sparrows... white in their tails rarely visible. The towhees are beyond description, every one different, some with gray heads. The juvenile rufous hummingbirds are brilliant green with rufous only on the sides of their chests. I have to look at photos on the web to be sure what I am seeing. I'll attach a collection of downsized photos I took today. Can you identify these birds??

 













 

4 comments:

  1. Hi Linda, l see song sparrows and spotted towhees. The last one looked like it had abi-colored bill but I concluded it was a seed. I hope you and Johnny are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hummers appear to have some brown, so I say rufous. The fist bird is a dark-eyed junco I think. We’ve had a few at our feeders, they are more varied than I recall, showing shadows of adult colored plumage.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous agrees with me. The first bird had white outer tail feathers that it only flicked occasionally and never for the camera. It is, apparently, a junco. I don't remember the juveniles ever being so nondescript in the past. Nor do I remember juvenile towhees being so bizarre. We have had 5 juvenile Rufous Hummers here all summer... slowly developing more rufous. As soon as the adult Rufous arrived from wherever they spend their winters, they chased away our wintering Anna's. And yes, Tom, there are Song Sparrows. I'll be glad when they grow tails.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous was me again, l didn’t catch that I needed to name myself again. Nice images.

    ReplyDelete