Friday, August 27, 2021

A Day at the Coast

 On August 25th, I made an all day trip to the coast to try to finalize what has happened to my Black Oystercatcher nesting sites. The news is sad as only one pair nested and their nest failed... twice. This is by far the worst Black Oystercatcher (BLOY) nesting season ever at my sites. But the scenery is always lovely! So I took photos. What follows is a sampling of the 100 photos I took that day.

First, inside the cove at Road's End:

South Rock at low tide, where a pair of BLOY laid 3 eggs twice and lost them

Middle Rock with Cascade Head in the distance

Middle Rock

South Rock, where BLOY seemed to begin nesting but quit


On the very top of Middle Rock was a Cedar Waxwing!


South Rock behind monolith


The only Starfish I saw all day

Polly Island, among other names

Atop Polly Island: Pelicans and Cormorantss

The Cedar Waxwing atop Middle Rock

As the tide returned, I left for Cape Kiwanda...

 

 

Chief Kiawanda Rock

 


Cape Lookout in the far distance

The only BLOY I saw all day, one adult who stayed briefly (that tiny black dot on top of the rock.)


This gull flew in and landed next to me, looking for a handout


It finally gave up on me as I told it to find its own healthy-for-a-gull food.


Double-crested Cormorant


Ledge where BLOY used to nest on Chief Kiawanda Rock


new fence and steps to west-most observation point

I returned to the north side before hiking back to McPhillip's Park

The resident Peregrine



Lots of Brown Pelicans and others were finding fish. Lots of fishing boats out there, too.

Although it was a disappointing year for Black Oystercatcher nesting, the Oregon coast is always beautiful and good for the spirit. I was going to say relaxing but hiking up and down dunes and over boulders is not too relaxing. However, I do sit and observe and breathe in that wonderful salt air. And take a LOT of photos.



No comments:

Post a Comment