Tuesday, September 1, 2020

A Minus Tide at Dawn


For the first time since 2006, I did not monitor Black Oystercatchers at Road's End. The trail I took to The Thumb, where I could look down on all three nest sites, is now off limits and I was not willing to hike in from The Knoll, a long hike ending in a treacherous narrow path next to the cliff over the Hidden Cove north of Road's End cove. Another volunteer, who had accompanied me in the past, took over. But then Covid-19 hit and she was able to make the trek only twice all summer because of the swarms of people hiking the narrow trail with so many other coastal areas off limits. She saw the Middle Rock nest with eggs, but could not learn its outcome. And she surmised the South Rock pair had a nest, out of sight as usual.

A minus tide early on the morning of September 1st allowed me to go into the cove from the beach when no one else was yet there. I was hoping to see Black Oystercatcher fledglings or else a pair of adults with no chicks, so I could know if any nest had been successful... or not. No Black Oystercatchers of any age were in sight or sound, but the beach was beautiful at dawn.
















 Cascade Head in the distance below.




As the sky lightened, the pink intensified. I couldn't stop taking photos.








The photo below is of the top of  "South Rock" where a pair of Black Oystercatchers nest each year. It looks very different looking down on it from The Thumb.










 The ocean had retreated from the Hidden Cove to the north, something that only happens in a minus tide. I did not linger as the ocean was lapping at the entrance, eager to return.
























 "Boot Rock" and a pink dawn



 







Kelp uncovered at the minus tide.









 The Thumb seen between the seastack and cliff at the entrance to the Road's End cove. I turned to take this photo as I left... the sky lightening and beach goers arriving, some with dogs...




  A gull complained.
 


 It was time to go home after a beautiful morning at the beach, albeit with no Black Oystercatcher sightings. As though in compensation, a pair of noisy Kingfishers flew around. And a line of Brown Pelicans flew north off shore while the sky was still pink...






  Out of the cove, now, I looked back at the scraggly tree that often hosts Bald Eagles. Way in the distance, The Thumb could be seen...






A beautiful morning, then home to do chores, not even very late. But Johnny had not remembered I was planning to go to the beach today and wondered where I was when he woke up. I left at 5 when he was fast asleep. 

Black Oystercatcher monitoring, such as it was, is over for me for the year. But next year, I will watch for early morning minus tides and visit the Road's End cove again.

No comments:

Post a Comment