Sunday, February 18, 2018

Anniversary on the Coast


We spent our 51st wedding anniversary, Feb. 13, at the coast. That's not quite as romantic as it sounds. Johnny dropped me off at McPhillips Park, where I start my quarterly mile beach walk for CoastWatch that extends from McPhillips Park south along Cape Kiwanda State Park to the Cape. Johnny drove around to the parking lot on the south side of the cape to wait for me. He is still walking with difficulty since his fall in November. We are still waiting for the doctors to figure out what's going on.

It was a lovely day... because I only pick lovely days at the coast for my mile walk. The high tides of January had eroded the access road, but vehicles were still bouncing their way over it to the beach.



The beach looking north toward Cape Lookout

The cliff eroding from the high tides of January


At the south end of my mile, I spotted two Black Oystercatchers on the point where they often hang out at high tide.

Here they are closer.

zoomed in and blurry


looking north from the north side of the dune

Cape Lookout in the distance

Looking mainly west from atop the dune

Haystack Rock from the top of the dune

Looking south toward the parking lot where Johnny awaits

I spotted our car, the farthest one right in this photo

Last car in the line-up is ours with Johnny inside enjoying the warmth of the sun and listening to NPR
After I joined him, we drove to the Beach Wok for lunch. Their special that day was enough for us to have for supper, too. We miss the Mexican restaurant, though, that seems to have closed.

This was quite a change from our 50th anniversary hike last year, when we climbed Spirit Mtn. I was the one last year with a knee that went out on me on the way down. But it recovered. Hopefully, the docs will figure out what's happening with Johnny's aching body... and he will recover, too.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment