Friday, December 27, 2013

The Mystery Pine

In 2005 I planted a baby "Japanese Black Pine" in the Japanese section of my arboretum. At least, that's what it was supposed to be. I thought I bought it from Forest Farm nursery in Williams, OR, however I was wrong. After much searching of my garden journals and daily journals, I found a list of trees I bought in October of 2005 and finally where I bought them: Creative Enterprises Nursery near Jefferson, OR. This past August, my Japanese sister visited and told me it was not a Japanese Black Pine. She didn't know what it was. I have been trying to figure out its true identity ever since.

In the photos below, I had cut off the bottom whorl of branches that were sweeping the ground to use in Christmas wreaths. This pine has lovely branchlet ends, much like those of Noble Fir, that work beautifully in wreaths and are blue tinged, like Noble Fir. It has needles 1 to 1 3/4 inches long, in twos, not much twisted, with cones also 1 to 1 3/4 inches long that look like Shore Pine cones except do not have the sharp points that Shore Pine cones have. It is a beautiful tree and I'd like to know what it is! Can anyone identify it for me? I have added more photos taken in the fog today (Sunday, Dec. 29).

Dec. 30 update: Chuck Philo has identified my pine as a Scot's Pine, possibly a cultivar because of the short needles and branchlet growth form. Now I'm wondering if the tree in my arboretum that I bought as a Scot's Pine really is one since it looks so much different from this one.To find out, I've started a new Trees blog and posted photos of that tree and my other two-needle pine trees in hopes someone can tell me what they really are. http://finkfamilyfarmtrees.blogspot.com/2013/12/two-needle-pines.html
























No comments:

Post a Comment