Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Deviled Eggs and Drippy Weather

I can't believe I forgot the Deviled Eggs. 44 of them! No, I didn't forget to serve them: I forgot to mention them in my Thanksgiving blog where I bragged about all the food grown on our farm that we served for the big feast. I made 44 deviled eggs from the many dozens of eggs our chickens are producing. Half were eaten before dinner was served and all were devoured soon after. This is good because our chickens are seriously overproducing. These are the chickens that neighbor Irv raised from day-old chicks for me. They produce beautiful eggs of many colors... lots of them.

I have not written a chicken update since the chicks were new, but the weather is too drippy for good photos today. Those will have to wait for a future entry, when the chickens are outdoors instead of keeping dry inside the chicken house. However, I did take a photo, in wind and rain, of a Bald Eagle atop our tall snag today. He is a handsome beast in any weather.


Between showers over the last several days, I have managed to photograph some of the beauty that even rainy days, with the occasional gray break, can provide. That's what we have mostly in Western Oregon during the winter months: gray breaks rather than sun breaks. Occasionally we do have sun breaks. We had one a couple days ago that produced a spectacular full sky rainbow. Naturally, I did not have my camera with me at the time. But here are a few photos taken during recent gray breaks.

A bright male Wilson's Warbler was flycatching in front of the barn during an almost sunny spell. He should have been in Mexico by now, but I was happy to see his cheery self. Wilson's Warblers nest here in the spring but have usually flown south long before October ends, let alone November. This yellow fellow may have been on his way from farther north, just stopping here for a bite to eat before resuming his journey.


Our resident Red-tailed Hawk was preening on the Kestrel nest box snag, showing off his namesake tail, one recent foggy day. A Varied Thrush peeked out of lichen-draped Ash trees in our Ash tree swamp, while rain drops made patterns in the water below. Varied Thrushes migrate downslope when snow arrives in the hills above us, as snow most definitely has.



There is a harvest of beauty (as well as eggs), to be found in any weather on our farm... although I confess to mostly working indoors in the rain, dashing outside to tend animals... and take photos... when it stops for a minute. The eagle photo I took while standing outside the back door, under the eaves: my camera and I are not as weather-proof as an eagle.

No comments:

Post a Comment